Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Birthday Present to Myself: A Self Portrait


It was a milestone birthday, meaning it ended in a "0" or "5". 


Five years ago, I took some photos on my birthday.


I knew I wanted to to do it again this year. 


Like many people, I've tended to be the one who takes the photos; I haven't been in a lot because of that.


About six or seven years ago, I took a class from Cathy Zielske called Encyclopedia of My Ordinary Life. It was based on the book Encyclopedia of An Ordinary Life. Our assignment prior to class was to take photos representative of each letter of the alphabet. We then wrote about something in our lives that began with each letter. 


Oh, and one more photo. That would be of ourselves since this album was to be about "me".


Up to that point, I'd been captured in some family photos. However, with my digital camera, remote control, tripod and black velvet background, I was able to capture images of "me" at that point in my life.


Since then, I've done a few more photo shoots so that I have something to look back on in years to come (besides thousands of cat photos - lol). 


And the Encyclopedia of My Ordinary Life? It was a fabulous class and project. I have a great scrapbook of photos and thoughts thanks to Cathy. 

And my birthday this year? Wonderful. It is rare that I post photos of myself, but you know what? A birthday is special and so I'm sharing my little project today. If you are the one usually behind the camera, I wholeheartedly recommend you take some time for yourself and document your special day. And now, I'm turning up my Sinatra music and kicking up my heels for the remaining hours of my holiday/birthday/vacation days!
Photobucket

11 comments:

Milady Leela said...

You look adorable in these pics Sharon.

Draffin Bears said...

Happy birthday Sharon, love all the photographs and looks like a fun time you had,
Wishing you a fabulous year ahead.

Hugs to you and Miss Gracie
Carolyn

Nancy's Notes said...

Happy Birthday! What an adorable you! Wonderful photographs and oh my, what a cute idea!

Nicki said...

You are lovely and take a wonderful portrait. I love the fun nature of these pictures with the umbrella. One of my son's driving forces in learning to use his DSLR is to take some pictures of me (I avoid it like the plague).

oh, Happy Birthday!

Debbie said...

These shots are AMAZING!!!
You totally captured personality and grace!!

Love it!!!

xoxo

Rustique Gal said...

Sharon,
Hope you had a great birthday! I love your photos. What fun to have these pictures-and you in control! Sweet springy ones. Have a great week, dear friend!
Hugs,
Sherry

T's Daily Treasures said...

Happy birthday Sharon! So nice to see you in pictures! You know what, when we went to Nepal this past summer, I am in barely any of the photos because I was always taking the pictures. So not fair! My birthday is in 3 days but won't be doing much since things get a bit crazy here with the so-called celebrations for National/Liberation Days. Wishing you a great tomorrow and a wonderful weekend. Tammy

Marrianna said...

Love, love the photos, Sharon, Excellent photographic work. Happy birthday. I'm still looking forward to reports of the new vintage flea market in your community. As I've said before, your photos and your blog inspire me to do more with my own artwork.

Marrianna

Terra said...

This is my first visit here, and the photos and you look charming and whimsical. Nice photo project, oh and happy birthday.

Donna said...

Hello Sharon,

I popped over from Karen Valentine's blog, you had left a commentary regarding her book. It must have paid off for you, as your blog is beautiful! I love the photos you took of yourself and what better way to catalog your life, than to take the photos you want of yourself for future years! No one sees us like we see ourselves ~ you, outwardly are self confident and very happy.

Blessings,
Donna

Waseem said...

Adorable idea...I appreciate you share it.
Send Gifts To Pakistan.
You can contact
Hankhendricks if you need help or information regarding the following areas of interest:
• new ventures
• business deals
• reference requests
• getting back in touch