Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Cluttered Space = A Cluttered Mind


Wow - my vacation is almost over and I've so much to do yet. After the trip to Minnesota, I began to organize and purge. Isn't it funny how it's so easy to accumulate things to fit the space you have or even beyond it? For some time now, I've been wanting to pare down things. You know what they say: a cluttered space is a cluttered mind. Actually, there is truth to that. Do you ever notice how much more serene you feel when your space is neat and orderly? 



Over the last several years, I have accumulated way too much. 

It is time to let go of things. 

I have finally admitted to myself what I've been denying for years. I will never finish or even start all those projects that I've wanted to work on. 

No, there are just too many, too little time, and new ones every day. So, it is time to let go and start anew. The hardest part is that I feel like I'm losing a bit of myself as I pack each precious item. Oh, the potential they hold! But unless I win the lottery (highly unlikely as I don't play it!), it will just never happen. So, I am having a garage sale this Saturday. And what I don't sell, I will donate and know that there are others that will create projects from these items. 


I am not letting go of my Somerset series of inspirational magazines. And I am keep some favorite items. But from now on, I will only purchase items as I need them for any project. No more stockpiling! 

My mixed-use creative space looks and feels so much better already. My hallway is lined with boxes of things that are leaving. And though I've purged a lot already, there is still more to be done. Oh, how can I possibly reduce my stash of ribbon? I adore ribbon. But, I'm afraid to say I do have a lifetime supply. I'm now getting down to the really hard part. 


I've made great progress and I'll continue to work on down-sizing my entire house over the next few months. It's difficult work and time-consuming, but it feels great when it's done. My hope is that having a simpler home will provide the space in my head for more creativity and sense of peace. Even though this is hard, I'm excited about it. Just as the seasons change, so too do our lives. I'm feeling a transition, moving on to something new. And that is exciting.

How about you

What do you do to feed your creativity? 
What affect do your surroundings have on it? 



Photobucket

4 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

This is something I definitely need to do. You are right, it does take time, and sometimes it is so hard to get started. I think I managed two drawers over the summer and that was that. I would love to have my surroundings organized. I try to keep things tidy every day which helps a bit but then the cleaning needs to be done along with the every day routine of keeping up and I have a hard time with that part as it leaves little time for much else. :/ Best of luck with your yard sale. Tammy

Bluebell Woods said...

It sounds as though I am somewhat like you. I hoard, I want to get rid of a lot of craft stuff but if I do I always think I will regret it. I dont have a work room and when I do things its at the dining room table.I dont have a spare room as each room I do have is a bedroom that gets used now and then. I would love to have a craft room and a place to sew but I hate basements. I can't see it ever happening. I think because everything is packed away I forget what I have. Real life always seems to get in the way of my productivity as well. Finding time to be productive is the thing.
I do know in my every day life I have to have order otherwise I am cranky
Janice.........I love your craft room

June said...

Oh I wish I had your resolve Sharon. I need to adopt your idea of only buy the supplies for something I am making right then,
Wishing you a great yard sale!
hugs from here...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I need to do the same thing ~ have way too much stuff and it does weigh you down and stop you doing the things that you enjoy.
Much luck with the garage sale and your decluttering.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn