Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Absolute Best Fresh Strawberry Pancake Sauce


Now that you know the easy way to hull the berries, let's make a fantastic sauce for Sunday pancakes! Pancakes are one of my favorite comfort foods and spring and summer are the best times to enjoy this recipe created by my dad in the 1960's. 

Frank's Famous Strawberry Pancake Sauce
Ingredients 

One pint of strawberries
A few teaspoons of sugar
Half & Half
Your favorite pancakes

Start by placing about a pint of clean strawberries in a bowl. Cut the large ones in half first as they will be easier to mash.


Take a good old fashion masher (remember mashing potatoes with it when you were a kid?) and mash those berries.


The consistency should be juicy yet chunky.


Add about a couple of teaspoons of sugar (I don't like my foods very sweet, so I add just one). You can always start with one teaspoon and taste it once you've added the half and half. Then you can adjust to taste.


Now, pour in about a cup of half and half. Again, you can adjust this so your sauce is thinker or thinner, depending on how you like it. Add a little at a time, stir, then add more as you like.


Stir until it is all mixed together.


Voila! Here's your finished sauce. I usually make it before the pancakes and leave it on the counter so it can reach room temperature (you don't want to put cold sauce on your pancakes). Now, on to the pancakes.


My favorite pancakes are the thin kind. That's probably because my mom is from Sweden and that's how she made them when I was growing up. Of course, I love the fat ones too - any pancake is always a treat. So, go ahead and fix your favorite type. Or, if you live near an IKEA store, try this:


Real authentic Swedish pancakes, imported from Sweden available in their Swedish Food Market. Fast, easy and super tasty. Just like mom's!



Yum! Serve the sauce over the hot pancakes and enjoy!

Photobucket

5 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Yum! Someone else posted about chocolates they bought from Ikea, but although we have the cafeteria here, they don't sell food items. I use a whole wheat pancake recipe ... my kids prefer the fluffy pancakes rather than crepe-like -- although they did like the mango cherry crepes I made a couple of months ago. Have a great day! Tammy

Recycled Rita said...

I love those pancakes! I think I may need to make a trip to Ikea, yum! karen...

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Yum!!!! :) Thanks for sharing the sauce recipe.

a Bohemian Market said...

Hi Sharon, Tina, Miss Gracie, and Nipper:
How is everyone?
It's me, your friend, Carole.
I am alive, getting better and attempting to come back to life in all venues : )
The strawberries look delicious, made into a topping for the wonderful Swedish pancakes!!!
After you get over the shock of hearing from me and have a moment of free time please e-mail me: abohemianmarket@aol.com. I have had to change so much stuff in the last 14 months. Lost my over 15 year old e-mail account due to a hacker : (
Several surgeries, moved to the high desert and life is quite interesting for me now : )
Love & Peace to all of you!
Carole

Tammy said...

Yum! This strawberry sauce looks delicious and sounds like the perfect topping to pancakes. I'll have to make it the next time I make pancakes. My husband and I usually use strawberry preserves. This will be a fun change.