Saturday, May 21, 2011

Three Top Sites Any Blogger Can't Live Without!



It's the latest addiction for many bloggers. A new social sharing/cataloging site described in the following ways:
  • a virtual pinboard
  • a place to catalog the things you love
  • a social catalog service
Pinterest describes itself this way: "a place where you can create collections of things you love and "follow" collections created by people with great taste". It's amazing the new services that are developed on the web. This one is so easy and best of all, it's free. Once you register, a "Pin It" bookmark is installed and then wherever you go on the web, you can simply "pin it" to one of your own boards when you see a graphic you want add to one of your collections. You are given some names for boards to start out, but you can change those and add as many as you like. Above is a sample from some of the boards I've created. Once on their site, you can browse thousands of other boards and follow those you choose to or even repin images from those. It's a wonderful place to refer to images you've seen and want to save. 



2. PICNIK

I highly recommend this site for every blogger. Wow, where do I start? Picnik does so much and it really does make photo editing fun. Upload your photos and you can edit, share, print, create in a nutshell. But that alone does not do the site justice. It has a lot of robust features that include effects (lots!), frames, curves, touch up with burning and dodging, text and more. It's so simple to use and well designed. The only limitation I've discovered is that it only allows 200 photos to be stored at a time. Also, there is both a free version and a premium version which is $24.95 per year. However, the premium version gives full access to all tools which I've found to be worth it.


My favorite tool in Picnik is the collage builder. There are many different variations with size and number of images to choose from. It's so far the easiest way to create a collage that I've discovered. Aside from size and number of images in the collage, you can also choose the color, size and spacing of the border lines, rounded edges, and tilt (they call it "kookiness"). I guarantee, you will love this tool!





Kind of a funny name, isn't it? I was turned on to this site a short time ago and found it had some fun, handy and unique items for photographers. If you're a blogger, you're probably a photographer also, right? I mean, most of us do take photos to place on our blogs and that makes us all photographers. Not only it is fun to browse their store, but I discovered it's one of those sites with a brand personality. Quirky and fun; if you are familiar with Trader Joe's and their Fearless Flyer, then you know what I'm talking about.

I recently placed an order with them and what did I find at the bottom of the bag? I little toy dinosaur! When I emailed them about returning an item, I wound up with a funny exchange that went like this:

Me: Hello Photojojo, I got the teal and burgundy camera straps last week. I LOVE the teal but sadly, I'm not crazy about the burgundy. I'd like to exchange it for another teal. Can you just send another teal with my item that's on backorder?

Photojojo: Hey Sharon, Sure, that sounds like a plan to me! Just send me a tracking number when you mail this back. Want to let me know as soon as that's done and I'll make it happen?

Me: I'm sending by priority mail today. The code is: 999999999

Photojojo: Thanks so much :)  I've added the teal strap to the other parcel so it'll come in that shipment, coolie?

Me: Super coolio, can't wait - I'll just tie a pink ribbon onto that one!

Photojojo: Nice!

Photojojo: Hey Sharon, Just a lil' update! We got that one strap back. Another teal one will be in the package shipping out next week. Thanks for your patience :)

Me: Yippee!

Photojojo: You're welcome!

All emails from Photojojo were signed:
Kiran
Toejam & Earl Fanatic and 
Photojojo PR/Customer Support

I just love that kind of service and quirky brand. Anyway, I got a great new camera strap and who knows what you may find? A fun site worth looking at and even if you don't buy anything, sign up for their newsletter with fun photo tips.

So those are three favorite sites of mine. Please let me know what some of yours are!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for sharing the three sites, you enjoy using.
Off now to have a look, as they look like fun.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

raggygirlvintage said...

Loved your post, informative and professional and still beautiful to read through.
Tracey

Rustique Gal said...

Sharon, these look like lots of fun.I will surely check them out. Being a blogger has built my confidence for photography, and I will enjoy exploring the sites!
Have a great week!
Sherry

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Awesome links! I use picnik all the time and really like it. I was unfamiliar with the other two, so thank you so much for sharing them! Theresa

Bringing Pretty Back said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for listing these three sites and also how to use them. I am intimidated to even try picnic.I have heard of pinterest , but didn't really know what it was. A company with great customer service... priceless!
And sadly - a little hard to find.
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Kellene said...

I've recently joined the Pinterest movement and I've worked in Picnik for almost two years now. Both of these sites are amazing! But be careful, they're very addictive!

Marilyn said...

Thanks so much for all the information on these resources. I just learned about Picnik. I already have a Flickr account, so that works well for me. I'm going to check out the other two.