Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Flowers From Modern to Vintage


Do you think these flowers are real? Well, yes they are. I simply applied some textures to them and made   a few adjustments in Photoshop Elements. They remind me of a painting or photo one would find in an old, antique magazine. 


Of course, the actual flower is quite pretty but how much fun it is to create another version unique in its own way.


I've always loved photographing flowers. Many years ago, I'd go to the annual tulip festival at Pier 49 in Fisherman's Wharf and rove from plant to plant photographing from among the 50,000 tulips they would have on display. Other favorite spots top on the list are public gardens such as the Portland Rose Garden and San Francisco's Conservatory of Flowers.

Images created with textures by Kim Klassen of Kim Klassen Cafe.
Visit her site for more information about Texture Tuesdays.
A bonus photo would mean that I happened to capture an insect of some sort on a flower. Bumble bees are my favorite but a lady bug is a close second. A macro lens is a must have for close-up photos to capture the intricacies of each petal. Of course, when you have a flower-eating kitty, it can be a challenge to keep your flowers intact!

Photobucket

16 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Gorgeous images Sharon! You could certainly frame them for a beautiful gallery display of blooms! I brought a new plant home yesterday and Jingles made her way right to it. I shooed her away but who knows what I will find when I get home. I hope she isn't chomping it to bits. Hope you have a great day. Tammy

i.ikeda said...

Lovely flowers and great texture work. Textures do bring out some amazing artistic elements in photos and you did a wonderful job with already wonderful photos.

helena said...

beautiful images - love the soft details

Linda Makiej said...

Terrific texture work!!

Shabbyfufu said...

Fabulous work Sharon and beautiful flowers!

I read your post under this one and recently discovered Pinterst myself. Oh boy.....it's hard to get any work done once you look around at all of the beauty there!

xo,
Janet

A Rosy Note said...

Oh my goodness, these are pretty. I think the last one is my favorite :)

Julie Legg Photo said...

Wonderful! I love all the pics. Nice composition and texture.

followingsplendor said...

Beautiful texture work!

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

Sharon, Your photos and post processing on these images are just wonderful! Such a painterly effect...love 'em! Always like to go snooping around when I visit a new blog and yours is wonderful! I have resisted Pinterest so far...I could get lost for hours in that site. Such a neat place! Xo, Sue

sandra @ french laundry 132 ♥ said...

Oh My! Just outstanding! So soft and ohhhhh so beautiful!!!

Henrietta said...

I love taking pictures from flowers, they don't say anything, you can shoot in peace and time to time just admire how beautiful they are, time is not issue with them:) You have shooting my favorites and I just have to love them, great photos and I do really like your edits.
Have a great week

NatureFootstep said...

textures really makes a difference. :)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

Your flower images are beautiful and love how you have textured your work ~ so soft and romantic.
Aren't macro lens amazing.

Hope that you and Miss Gracie are having a lovely week
Hugs
Carolyn

Faerie Moon Creations said...

These photos are absolutely stunning! Truly works of art. I love what you did with them. I so wish I understood Photoshop - I leave that to the hubby! LOL Enjoy the weekend! Theresa

Renee Howell said...

Lovely! So soft and delicate. Love the "swirls" you added.

Rustique Gal said...

Sharon, these are so pretty! I love Kim's textures, and have just started to experiment with them. You do a great job! Have a wonderful week!
Sherry