Monday, January 24, 2011

Soon, Winter Turns to Spring


Lately, I've been noticing the tiny buds on the trees that have lost their leaves. The trees have been naked for a short while and now, just one month into the start of winter, they are getting ready for spring. It's little things like that which make me feel hopeful. Granted, we have had some sunny and spring-like weather here in Northern California but we've also had plenty of cold temperatures too.


Luckily, the cherry blossom trees begin to bloom in February and it's almost here. It's so beautiful to see row upon row of white or pink cherry blossom trees in full bloom. Their beauty only lasts for a few short months and then the trees will take on their plain faces again. 

When I was a child, we would pass these trees on the way to school each day and they would be filled with fuzzy yellow and black caterpillars. It has been many years since I've seen them and of course, it's a rarity to see butterflies these days. Creating a butterfly garden is a great idea to attract them. Unfortunately, I'm not doing too good with my roses right now. If it's not powdery mildew on the leaves, it's a bunch of tiny critters. Time for a little pruning!

1 comment:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Sharon, I think we have similar temperatures. Must be something with the weather because this year my tomato plants have that white mildewy stuff all over them. Last year they were so green and healthy. Today started out beautifully but has progressively gotten darker with clouds rolling in. They say rain is coming. I hope it won't be heavy ones as that always cause problems around here. Best wishes, Tammy