Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flea Market Frenzy

 flea mkt Sept 2010_0139_edited-1

Oh, my. Today was flea market day. Since I was not able to go last month, I was looking forward to today with anticipation. I’m happy to say it was a success in that I always come home with unexpected treasures. Miss Gracie gets so excited, too. Here she is inspecting all the treasures, hoping there might be treat or cat toy among them. In addition to the success I had today, I must say that it was a day of heartbreak, too. Yes, flea market heartbreak.

On my list of vintage items I hope to acquire is the old Singer sewing machine in the wood cabinet (in good condition). Towards the end of the morning, I spied exactly that as I was walking the aisle. However, there was a lady with two friends or family who were inquiring about it with the vendor. I could not believe my ears when he said he would sell it for $50! Not wanting to be rude and jump in there with the cash in my hand, I stood back waiting until they were through to see if the would buy it. Not only did they buy it, but they got the vendor to deliver it to their home for free! Alas, my heart was broken. I saw a similar one last year for about $130 but passed it up as I also want to get it for a bargain price.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0165

So I didn’t get my dream item, but I did get some other cool stuff. I have a thing for fake food, so I purchased these two pastries. One is for my tea table, and the other for our event displays at work.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0218

A roll of vintage ribbon… I have this same one with pink flowers and today purchased it with blue.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0222

Pretty green trim with sequins…. ohh la la!

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0224

What refrigerator is complete without a set of magnetic words to create phrases?

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0231

In a package labeled “parts”, there were some fun beads n bangles that will come in handy.

 flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0235 

I did buy some more rhinestone necklaces, but I think I can stop now. So hard to resist! When I tried this one on after I got home, it appeared to look almost like a bow in its design.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0240

Set with just a few pearls among the rhinestones, I especially liked this one.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0241

Here is a look at the centerpiece on it up close.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0257 

If you look close just beyond the necklace, you’ll see Miss Gracie standing right behind it. She is just getting ready to grab it. She likes sparkly things, too.

  flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0269

One of my interesting finds is a long, grey beaded necklace from the ‘20’s. It was so different and pretty, I knew it had to come home with me.

  flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0267

The beading is very intricate on this narrow strand.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0283 

This necklace is not vintage. No, there is a booth that only sells past merchandise from Macy’s at deep discounts. Occasionally I spy something new that is just too good to pass up.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0289 

This small silver plated tray makes  a great piece for holding small items, like this little pin that also came home.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0294

While I try to buy things that I will actually use in some way, sometimes I have to try a little harder to “invent” the use for it. This beading on a soft cream vintage purse was so scrumptious.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0295

I picked it up and put it back, walked to end of the first vendor aisle, then went back as I knew I would regret not buying it. I decided it would be perfect for storing jewelry in it.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0304

A dainty cup and saucer holder just called out to me. I have a similar one I purchased at an earlier flea market upon which I place supplies like rolls of crepe paper. This one will do the same.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0316

OK, here’s an item it turns out I didn’t need. I was looking for something to place my laptop on while I sat on the floor. So it’s an orange-brown odd color, but just imagine it paint white! I think it will look absolutely lovely in white. So, I will be buying the paint soon, but it turns out it’s too high to use with the laptop. I’m sure I’ll have a use for it anyway.

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0343

When we got to the market at 8:00 am, it was overcast and even a little chilly. By noon when we finished, it was hot and almost 80 degrees. We did our usual run to Whole Foods Market down the street from the flea market and had lunch. By the time we got home, we were both pooped. If you look beyond the flowers, you’ll see my sis fast asleep in our living room not long after we got home. It didn’t help that Miss Gracie had us awake very early, insisting we get up to give her some Greenies (aka “crack” for cats).

flea-mkt-Sept-2010_0359

But even Miss Gracie needed a nap. I was surrounded by two sleeping cats and one sleeping sister until I went upstairs.

DSC_4465_0379

Miss Gracie was so happy to see me that she followed me to every room in the house from the time we got home until I went to bed. Both she and I love to spend the afternoon in my bedroom as it gets the nice sunshine at that time. So as I sat on my floor with the laptop, Miss Gracie hopped in the window to breathe the fresh air and hope for a bird or two to fly by. She truly is a Velcro kitty.

5 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Sharon:
It appears that you really had a fun time at the flea market, in spite of not scoring a sewing machine. Maybe next time... Hope you and Miss Gracie enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.
xoxo
Donna

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I loved seeing your treasures you took home from the flea market. So sorry you missed out on the old Singer sewing machine.
When you are using your laptop sitting on the floor, can you use the table you bought by sitting on a big cushion - will that work?
I hope that you are having a lovely long weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

June said...

You really did find some wonderful things Sharon. I did a little fleaing myself over the weekend. But I didn't find any bling like you did. Really lovely things.
hugs

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Great finds Sharon!
I'm so happy to hear that you FINALLY made it to the flea! It's been a while.
I love to see the things that you picked up, you always find cool stuff. I love those trims!
Sorry about the cabinet...it just wasn't meant to be. I'm sure you'll be coming home from work one day and a beautiful cabinet will be at the road, waiting for you to pick it up for FREE! :)

So happy to see you post...I've missed you and Miss Gracie. I just love her paws in the backgroud :)))

Marrianna said...

I am having so much vicarious fun reading different blog posts. Thank you for sharing your flea market treasures. I will certainly keep my eye out for an old Singer in a cabinet. Would you believe that I passed one up on New Year's Eve at a moving sale here in Flagstaff? Yep, $50, but I didn't have $50. And it worked. I already have 3 sewing machines and only use one of them regularly.

By reading your blogs, I learn new things about repurposing, etc. This is always a treat when I spend time with you (online).

Would love to see photos of your house on your blog someday. I just love to see where people live. Your photos look like your home is very neat and tidy. Can't say the same for mine but I love yours.

Again, I like the frames you're using on many of your photos.

Hope you have a great day,
Marrianna