Sunday, August 29, 2010

Yes, I’ve Been a Bad Blogger :-(

 Aug-29-2010_0020

Oh, I know I’ve been a bad blogger. But before I say more, let me tell you about my day today. Dad is about to turn 86 in two days and so we celebrated with a birthday lunch.

Aug-29-2010_0009

For each birthday, Dad gets a bottle of champagne and a basket of seasonal fruits that I select at our local farmer’s market. Mmmmm…. the grapes were so sweet. Dad is so funny, he showed up with two cantaloupes today for me and the sis. A nice trade, don’t you think?

Aug-29-2010_0030

I gave him the choice of going out for lunch or having me cook for him. He chose to have me cook (which I was planning anyhow) and so I made a yummy pasta with red and gold cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and Italian flat leaf parsley and garlic.

Aug-29-2010_0034

I wish I could cook like this more often but weekends seem to be when I have the time.

Aug-29-2010_0035

Oh, did I mention we had a nice heirloom tomato salad and Italian Pugliese bread with our pasta?

Aug-29-2010_0038  Here’s Dad the big pasta eater!

 Aug-29-2010_0041

While we were eating, Miss Gracie hopped into an empty grocery bag and watched us eat.

Aug-29-2010_0048

Miss Gracie is one cute kitty.

Aug-29-2010_0023

Before Dad left, I took a picture of him with his new “old” car he purchased recently. He loves this car!

Aug-29-2010_0058

Dad placed his hat in the window next to my Fourth of July decor. I thought this was fitting, as he is a WWII veteran. After lunch, we took a walk around the neighborhood as we had a gorgeous summer day today. Then we came back for chocolate almond torte with fresh whipped cream and sliced nectarines for dessert. It was a wonderful way to spend the day.

*******************************************************************

As I mentioned, I’ve not been blogging much lately. Somehow, I just haven’t found the time, or when I do have time, I either have to much to do or am too tired after work. Yesterday, for example, Mom came over all day, went on the shopping errands with us; I then made lunch for us and we visited until dinner time. Today we prepared for Dad and spent the day with him and now it’s almost time to go to work again. I really do need an eight day week right now (or hey, a four day work week!). Thank heavens for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Oh, and I forgot a big reason I haven’t been blogging: I’ve had major computer problems in the past weeks. My old pc got so slooooooow, I’m sure I have major viruses and malware on it. So I decided to purchase a new computer and I just got it up and running a few days ago. I must report I’m no longer a Mac person. I wound up selling my iMac and going back to the pc although I now have a 17 inch laptop. It has the new version of Windows and I lost all my preferences in PSE so it’s still taking me a while to get used to it. The best part (and actually why I got a laptop) is that I can now go online in any room where the sun is coming in and Miss Gracie is sleeping in it. She always tries to lead me to the sun with her and I feel so guilty when I want to be doing something in another room. Miss Gracie, this laptop’s for you.

6 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

Wishing your Father a very happy birthday and what a special day you had together.
Love his car, what a beauty and also the sweet photo of Miss Gracie in the paper bag.
Glad that you got a computer that you and Miss Gracie can enjoy together.

happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Sharon, happy birthday to your dad. He's sure looking good at 86. Your food sounds absolutely fantastic. Yummo! I could come eat at your house anytime. Our home computer somehow died over the summer and haven't tried to get it going again yet; haven't been able to print or use my scanner since it isn't working. The kids laptop had to be repaired because of a virus. But so far this old one I am using is doing okay. Hope you have a great rest of the week. I think a 4-day work week sounds perfect. Best wishes, Tammy

kana said...

the birthday dinner looks great! You are a great daughter!

June said...

Oh Sharon you are killin' me with all this great food. Your last two posts are just crammed with sheer yumminess.
Your dad is such a doll...and he does not look 86!!!! I imagine he was in heaven having you cook for him.
Thank you Sharon for the lovely comment. I thank you for your words and I hope all goes well for you too. You inspire me and give me hope that my other children will be here for Landon when I no longer can be.
hugs
hugs

maría cecilia said...

Hola Sharon, it`s been a long time since my last visit and I´m so happy to pop in today and have the opportunitty to send your lovely dad a very, very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Sending him lots of health and blessings!!
muchos cariños,
maria cecilia

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad, Sharon! He for sure knows how to drive in style and how cool that he chose a red car. Your birthday lunch for him looks delicious! I'm a pasta lover too. Miss Gracie though would have probably preferred something with chicken or fish. Therefore she checked out the paper bag ... :-).
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Julia