Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lovin’ My Macro Lens

 2
Happy Happy Joy Joy!
I think I’m in love with my new Macro lens. I’ve had the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro for two or three weeks now but haven’t had much time to play. Since I’ve been on my “staycation” this week, it’s been great fun practicing with it.
3
I’m shooting anything that doesn’t move (except for Miss Gracie and Nipper, of course!). Macro photography has been something I’ve always enjoyed tremendously.
4
I’ve always loved photographing flowers as well so the combination of the two is perfect. I’m one of those people that just can’t seem to get close enough with my shots, so I’m really happy I now have this lens.
5
I’m not sure if I mentioned that I returned the Tamron 70 – 200mm 2.8 lens that I purchased right before this lens. It was so heavy! However, I’m thinking that I will probably go ahead and get that lens sometime in the future as I loved having that focal range in a fast lens. I better start my weight lifting program now!
6
Aside from objects like this Christmas ornament that I found in my home, I did photograph some flowers as well.
7
This yellow rose was in my garden. The wind kept blowing the rose around, so I cut it off and put it in a vase.
8
Here it is on my living room coffee table. There is actually a color cast on this photo but I loved the way it looked, so I did not color correct it. It has sort of a vintage feel, doesn’t it?
9
The lens let me get so close, I could photograph the stamen inside the rose!
10
I must have taken about 80 or so photos of this rose as I experimented with different angles, light and distance.
11
The range of the area that is in focus is pretty narrow but I think that may be more the photographer than the lens at this point!
12
Just look at the detail in the leaf – I was so excited to see that!
1
Did I mention that this is a great portrait lens as well? Miss Gracie happily posed as my first subject.
One thing I want to mention: I opted for the Tamron lens over the Nikon 105mm 2.8 Micro for the following reasons:
  1. The Tamron is roughly half the price
  2. It has received great reviews from users
  3. I’m not a pro, just a hobbyist so I could not justify spending so much money on the top of the line
  4. I’ve loved my Tamron 28 – 75mm 2.8; it’s been a great lens
  5. And seeing the photos from the Flickr group of Tamron 90mm users sealed the deal – they were fabulous shots
Oh, one more thing about the yellow rose. Nipper tried to eat it during the night; in the morning it was laying on table looking very sad while Nipper was looking very guilty. It makes it hard to keep fresh flowers in the house when Nipper insists that they are cat food. Here she is with her guilty face:
13
Now I’m off to “play” some more before my “staycation” is over!

5 comments:

BLISS angels said...

Beautiful photos,thank you for sharing them. ~Wendy @blissangels

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Wonderful pics. Congrats on the new lens. That is code for I am jealous! :)

Hopped over from Picture Summer! Tam

April said...

So beautiful :) I can't wait to get my hands on a macro lens!

Found your blog on picture summer!

Wendy said...

Nice work with the new lens!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I loved seeing your beautiful photos and the new macro lens is amazing, what gorgeous pictures you have taken. So much detail and so clear, you must be really happy to have it.

Hugs
Carolyn