Sunday, May 23, 2010

Home But Not Alone

 may23-1

Yes, homebound I’ve been for five days now. This is one cold that just hangs on. Even so, I was somewhat excited when my new camera lens (Tamron 70 – 200mm f2.8) arrived last Wednesday, but didn’t have the energy to remove it from its shipping box until Friday afternoon.

may23-2

I took it from its box and attached it to my camera. Well, let me just say this… a two and a half pound lens on the camera is not easy to hold when you weigh just over a hundred pounds and have skinny arms!

may23-3

I knew it was going to be heavy but I’ve never had so much shaking when taking photos. Yes, I know I can use a tripod or monopod, but I enjoy shooting freely while hand holding my camera.

may23-4

Now, maybe I didn’t give it a real chance. Maybe I was more unsteady being that I was sick. But gosh, it really was heavy!

may23-5 

Besides being heavy, it was a big splurge with my tax refund. And so, I have decided to return it. As much as I love zoom lenses and large apertures, I feel it is the right thing to do.

may23-6

I even got out my current lens (Nikon 55 – 200mm f4 – 5.6) and took the photos posted here today. I didn’t notice a big difference in those from the new camera but then I took all the photos in good light during the middle of the afternoon and I didn’t take any portraits.

may23-7

So now I’m happier with my old lens although I know it has limitations in low light situations. While researching lenses the past few days, I realized that the lens that would make me really happy is the Nikon 105mm f2.8 Micro.

may23-8

Nikon calls their macro lenses “micro” but it really is an excellent lens for close up photography. I’ve always enjoyed shooting macro and am always trying to get closer to my subjects than my current lenses allow.

may23-9

I will definitely have to put that lens on my wish list. The decision regarding that one is whether to get the auto focus or manual focus version. The manual focus is much less expensive and my 50mm f1.8 lens is a manual one. I do like the auto focus very much though.

may23-20

As you might expect, Miss Gracie has been quite happy having me home, cold or no cold. We spend time in the sun together, also known around here as “cat happiness”.

 may23-10

There are a hundred things I could have been doing these past days, but this cold has left me feeling unmotivated to do much besides check email, surf the web a bit, watch an old movie or two and cat nap with Gracie.

may23-11

Oh, and yes. I did feel much better while I was shooting these photos, some in my bedroom and some as I was relaxing in a chair in my living room after perusing the latest magazines.

may23-12

Since it is now spring, I recently removed the red pillows, throw blanket, flowers and such that I had out for my fall/winter decor.

may23-13

And, I took out my green and off-white pieces and put them in their place.

 may23-14

The fresh look of spring is so welcoming; I enjoy lounging in my living room while the light comes through the skylight. That’s also known as cat nap time!

 may23-15

I actually do not get much use out of my living room. Most often, company winds up being in the kitchen or dining room.

may23-16

And because my computer, TV and creative space are upstairs, I normally spend my time there.

 may23-17

Really, Nippy gets the most use of it as she cat naps on the back of the sofa for at least 10 hours a day!

may23-18

Gracie just follows the sun, starting in the back room upstairs, then down to the living room followed by the stairway and then back up to our bedroom.

may23-19

I’m with Miss Gracie – just follow the cat to get the best sun!

8 comments:

Nancy's Notes said...

Every thing you post is just so fabulous! Your photographs are exquisite! Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Beth A. said...

Loved your photos. Hope you are feeling better!

T's Daily Treasures said...

Sorry to hear that you've been sick, but sometimes being home and doing nothing much at all is good for the body and soul. Sounds like you are spending your time doing exactly what is needed. Gorgeous photos from around our home. Best wishes for the rest of the week and hope that cold goes away soon. :) Tammy

Diva Kreszl said...

oh sweetie, I do hope you are feeling well real soon! love all the photos, just lovely :)

Debby said...

Get better soon! All your photos are awesome.'
debby

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

So sorry to hear that you have been unwell and you are in the best place, staying home to get better.
I love your photos and all the beautiful places around your home.
That is neat that you and Miss Gracie follow the sun.
Get better, real soon.

Hugs
Carolyn

sew revived said...

Hi Sharon!
Hope you're feeling better soon! But what could be better than lying around in the sun with Miss Gracie!? If there was room for one more, I'd join you!
Get well soon.
PS. Buy yourself the auto lens...

GardenDesigner said...

Hope you are feeling better SOON!!!!
Sometimes it just feels right to be sick and listen to your body telling you to just slow down...rest... and take some time to ponder... I just got better too! and as much as I hated being sick (Pneumonia ) I had 10 days to surf... watch old movies and sleep!
I love your pics!!
Happy Spring !
Vanessa
RhinestoneContessa.com