Friday, April 16, 2010

May = Tussie Mussie Time

apr15-1

Just in time for May Day, Linda at A Swap For All Seasons recently hosted a Tussie Mussie swap. What is a tussie mussie you ask? A tussie mussie originated as a bouquet and is a circular nosegay of flowers, often inside a cone. They go back many years ago to when they were popular during Elizabethan and Victorian times in England. They were often used to send messages through the flowers, as each flower held a different meaning.

apr16-2

Today, they are wonderful decor that can be given filled with fresh or artificial flowers, or even filled with goodies of sorts. We made ours as artful decor to be displayed and admired.

apr16-3

My swap partner, Lisa, loves the color light purple so I used that as my central color when making her cone. I adhered some vintage purple ribbon around the top and filled it with some little purple flowers.

apr16-4

On the base of the cone, I wrapped two kinds of trim and attached a vintage brooch to the front of it.

apr16-5

A little gold trim, some fluffy tulle, gathered crepe paper and ribbon were additional embellishments.

apr16-6

So off I mailed this earlier in the week along with some fun goodies. Next week I expect to receive the tussie mussie that Lisa has made for me. What a fun project this was!

10 comments:

Debby said...

Absolutely gorgeous, love the colors. What a great swap this has been.
Debby

Diva Kreszl said...

how sweet! I just may have to practice making some tussie mussies :)

T's Daily Treasures said...

Your tussie mussie is just beautiful and I have no doubt Lisa will love it along with all the goodies you sent. I haven't been very creative lately. Even your photos are embellished so nicely. And I don't think Miss Gracie could ever take a bad picture. Sending best wishes your way for a wonderful rest of the weekend. :)Tammy

raggygirlvintage said...

That sounds like so much fun!! Always great to make something with a specific person in mind. Your tussie mussie is adorable! After white purple is my favorite color, so great choice:-)
Tracey

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

Love your sweet tussie mussie with violets and your swap friend is going to be delighted.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Gypsy Mermaid said...

Hey chickadee! I love your tussie!!! I dont even really like purple that much but this is so pretty! Big hugs

toodles-
sarah

June said...

Goodness Sharon, this is so pretty. Lisa will be wowed by it! Beautiful colors.
I love the Miss Gracie post. I love that cat!
hugs

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Sharon,

The tussie mussie's are so delightful and such a timeless reminder of romance and all that goes with it.♥

I love visiting your blog [but don't it near enough] I must remedy that! :0)

It's Mosaic Monday over at my place. I'd love for you to drop by for a visit when you have a few minutes.♥ I hope you are enjoying some fabulous weather!

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

icandy... said...

how beautiful!
i love how you've incorporated the vintage jewelry!
have a wonderful day!
ox

stephanie said...

Love that tussie mussie! How sweet those violets look and I really like the gold trim that you accented with...