Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Visit to Mom’s House

Mar14-1

This weekend, I spent an afternoon with Mom. While I was at her house, I took advantage of taking a few extra photos like these lemons in her kitchen.

mar14-2

I just adore this little fella. He sits on her counter watching over her as she does her dishes each day.

mar14-3

Mom had asked me to come over to take some photos of her paintings and garden. In the eighties and early nineties, Mom used to paint watercolors and oils. She recently took several of her painting out and had some framed. Mom will be turning 80 years old in just one and a half months. Can I mention that she doesn’t dye her hair and that is its natural color? Thank goodness for those genes!

mar14-4

This is the front of Mom’s house where the flowers she calls her “firecrackers” grow. She likes to look at these from her living room window.

mar14-5

Mom has an art deco style sofa and chairs that we found at an antique store probably 10 or more years ago. She combined that with some of her Scandinavian style that goes back to her Swedish roots.

mar14-6

The bowl of apples gives a little pop of color in her neutral palette living room.

mar14-7

Mom also redid her bedroom Swedish style. I really like the fresh white colors.

mar14-8

Mom did a great job decorating. It’s clean and simple. I think it looks just like it came out of a magazine. Now, if only I could get her to make my home so clean and simple. Actually, she has tried but I can’t give up all my “stuff” that I love so much. Every time she puts something of mine away, I put it right back out. I’m not a clutter-bug, but I do need to be surrounded by things that make me happy.

10 comments:

Sheri Howard said...

Love your mom's new bedroom. Speaking of lemons...I stopped at a "lemonade stand" in CA a few weeks ago and the boy had, picked the lemons, and made the lemonade himself...with his mom's help. It was the best lemonade I had ever had at a stand...and only $.50 !! It was his last cup, too bad because I wanted more! Sounds like you and your mom are close, I am happy for you!

Diva Kreszl said...

well it is quite apparent those artistic genes run quite strong in your family!

Bryanna Lenan said...

WOW love your Moms bedroom.. and the lemons are beautiful!!
xo
Bryanna
www.thecanaryscupcake.blogspot.com

Clarity said...

Beautiful bedroom, I too enjoy whites and neutrals. Your mother looks amazing, I refuse to believe she is almost 80, well I believe you but, what does she eat? :)

She is a good artist; ask her to start blogging?

June said...

Sharon your mom is beautiful! You and she look so much alike. Her home is so lovely and I'm so glad she would share it all with us. I love her style.
hugs

T's Daily Treasures said...

Your mom is beautiful. I can't believe she will be 80. She looks very young, lucky you -- to have some wonderful genes. Her home is just as lovely. I can't seem to do clean and simple either but do like to see when other's have decorated in that way. Have a great day! :) Tammy

GWENDOLYN said...

Talent runs in your family. Your mother is lovely, she looks much younger than her age! Does she have any beauty and health secrets to share?:)
Her home is beautifully decorated. She has great style and taste. You must be very proud to call her mom.
Blessings!
Gwen

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

What a lovely post and I can see where you get your talent from. Your Mother is very beautiful and I can't believe she is in her 80's.
Her home is beautifully decorated and your photos are gorgeous.
Have a great week

Hugs
Carolyn

Karen said...

Sigh. love the bedroom. Love it.
And love all your pretty FRAMES!!!! :)
Someday I'll figure it out. I know it's something so simple but just cannot for the life of me GET IT!
You should see my lemon tree!!!! WOW! what a crop!
Have a great day! karen

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

80? Your Mom is about to be 80? I can't believe that...she's beautiful!
I have an idea...let's have a gene swap! PLEASE! tee hee! Seriously, you are a lucky girl to have such a beautiful, healthy and creative Mom!!!!
I love her decorating taste but I'm afraid I'm a lot like you and have to be surrounded with the things I love too.
Back to the gene swap, what do you say?
;)