Sunday, January 31, 2010

So Many Letters, So Little Time

jan31-1

This afternoon, I turned on my iTunes music and spent some time photographing an assortment of delightful objects. While foraging around for some background material, I came upon a pile of my calligraphy sheets.

jan31-2

These were just practice pages I had done some time ago. Every time I see these I think to myself “I need to spend more doing calligraphy”. I love this Copperplate script and would like to do more. But as I’ve said before, there are not enough hours to do everything I’d like to spend time on. And that makes me sad. Of course, it would help if I wasn’t interested in so many things, but that’s just me. Oh, there are so many wonderful calligraphic hands. I want to do them all!

jan31-3

I do use my calligraphy script throughout the year as I address envelopes for birthdays and special occasions. There’s just something soothing about drawing these curvy letters. And it makes me feel good when I give an envelope to someone with their name on it as it’s just a little more special.

Sometimes I envy people who have one large passion for their art. Me, I just can’t contain myself to one. I do go back and forth though. So while I may focus on one thing and then move on to another, I will continue to use what I learned previously. For today, I just had a good time shooting some photos with a Valentine theme. And can you believe not one cat photo? That’s because Miss Gracie was glued to the space heater all day!  

5 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

You are talented in so many ways that I imagine it would be hard to focus on any one means of artistic expression. For common folks like moi, I just tend to make a mess and then can't focus on anything because everything is so disorganized. :/ Your calligraphy is beautiful and would make any envelope extra special. Blessings, Tammy

Sheri Howard said...

Your letters are beautiful. I used to do Calligraphy years ago, I don't think I even know where my pen is. Thank you for sharing...so much fun to remember!

GWENDOLYN said...

Your calligraphy is really lovely. I have never tried it ... thinking it looks too complicated. Perhaps I will give it a go sometime, after seeing how lovely your's is.
Blessings!
Gwen

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I love your Copperplate script Calligraphy and yes, isn't it lovely getting a nicely addressed letter in the mail.

Have a great week
Hugs
Carolyn

Karen said...

OMG Sharon have you been reading my mind? I am writing a post about all the things I want to do or learn to do - but there just isn't time. I too wish I had one passion - well, maybe two, and could just be happy doing that. But I want to do sooooo much!!! The post sounds like I'm whining - I don't know if I'll post it. But . . . oh if only I had one week to redo the studio, then a week to just DO! I'd be a happy camper!
But life keeps calling me away . . . and actually I'm very grateful for that too . . .
But I really, REALLY want to work on my calligraphy! Ive always loved changing my handwriting to whatever suits my mood. How funny you should post this -
HAGD! Karen
Some days are diamonds