Monday, January 18, 2010

Losing a Friend

jan18-10

Today I have been a bit teary eyed as I received some sad news. I learned that my friend Wilbur had recently passed away. Wilbur and I met at our Toastmasters club in 2000. He had been a fixture at the club for quite some time. Wilbur created our club’s first website, took photos at the meetings and speech contests, maintained the weekly club schedule, provided guidance and advice to new club members and was just an all around nice guy who loved a good joke. He always encouraged me and went to every club contest. When I was the club representative at many contests, he was my biggest supporter. His name for me was Princess and it made me feel so special.

Wilbur had been retired for quite some time. He loved airplanes and had been a pilot in the air force in the 1950’s and afterwards, was a pilot with Pan Am. I quit our club in mid-2004 when I went back to work and had less time available. After that, he continued to email me every week with jokes, interesting articles, animal photos and more. In the last few months, I had been so busy with my own life that I did not notice I was not hearing from him as usual. My emails to him began to bounce back with “mailbox full” messages. I called his two phone numbers but they were disconnected. This was not like him at all, and I began to fear the worst. After contacting a mutual acquaintance from our club, I learned the bad news.

About a year ago, Wilbur and I met for dinner at his favorite restaurant La Michoacana. He regaled me with stories of his youth and early adult life. I enjoyed knowing him and feel so sad that he passed away very suddenly. I wish I could have told him how much i appreciated having him in my life. It just gets so much harder when the people you love get older and then they are gone.

Yesterday, I finally got around to working on my new year’s resolutions. As it happens, I had decided that this year I need to spend more time with friends and family. And now I will be sure to let them know how much they mean to me, as well.

7 comments:

Kerry McKibbins said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Sending you good thoughts.

T's Daily Treasures said...

So sorry to hear about Wilbur's death. I know how you must be feeling. I have a friend in Georgia that I worked with years ago. She is in her late 70's and has had some health issues. I told her to please make sure that her daughter has my email address so that if something were to happen, I would know about it. Very sad to think that someone would go suddenly and you wouldn't even know about it. You are still trying to contact them and they are no longer there. It does seem the older we get, the more we have to deal with this type of loss. Sending lots of hugs and good wishes your way. Blessings :) Tammy

GWENDOLYN said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend Wilber. Prayers are with you.
Blessings.
Gwen

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Dear sweet Sharon, I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. There is nothing harder than losing the ones you love.
You are in my prayers.
Hugs, Carol Anne

June said...

Sharon I'm so sorry dear friend for this loss in your life. You have some lovely memories that will live on though and bring him back when you need him. Sometimes it's just hard to fill the hole they leave in our hearts.
BIG HUG

The Liberty Belle said...

Very sorry for your loss. May God comfort all who knew and loved Wilbur and grant peace and understanding.

Jodie LeJeune said...

Awe Sharon...I'm sooo teary eyed. Your pain flows through your words. He sounded like a very good friend indeed. Loss is hard, but somehow I know he knows how you feel about him...I'm sure he's standing near your guardian angel watching over you too like he has always watched over his little "Princess".
Hugs to you sweets~
everything vintage