Sunday, January 17, 2010

January Flea Market Finds

jan17-1

Since I missed the November and December flea markets, I made it a point to start January off with a visit on New Year’s weekend. While I expected it to be different in the winter, I was surprised to see fewer vendors. Regardless, there were still so many and it took me almost four hours to make it through all of them.

This sweet little tea dyed dress is about two feet tall. I found it at a booth with used clothing. Honestly, I didn’t know what it was when I  saw it. A ladies blouse? A child’s dress? I was confused because it was with all the ladies clothing. Once I got it home, I could see it is meant for a small child. Now, my original intent was to cut this up to use the fabric and lace for the vintage Valentine fabric book swap in which I’m participating. However, I could just not bear to cut it up once I got it home.

jan17-2

The fabric would make a wonderful background for some artwork and the lace would provide such a pretty touch. But no, for now it is just one more item on display in my creative space.

jan17-3 

I also happened to find these heart buttons. As it was, there were exactly nine buttons and I had to make nine pages for the fabric book swap. Unfortunately, they did not work out with my final design so I’ll have to find another use for them someday.

jan17-4 

In another booth, I found this piece of sparkly material. It was cut from the bottom of a dress. I’m fairly certain it might have been from an Indian dress judging by the design.

jan17-5

Oh, my. How could I not resist purchasing it with all those sparkles? It has so many possibilities. What a fabulous apron it would make!

jan17-6

While purchasing some ribbon, the dealer was measuring it off a large card and suddenly I spotted this other ribbon on the same piece. I bought all that was on there as it wasn’t very much, maybe a yard and a half. But what lovely ribbon – I don’t quite want to use it up just yet.

jan17-7

What can this be? I don’t really know but it has four tiny legs beneath it to hold it up and this tiny bird perched aside, as if ready to drink. Such a wonderful shade of gold. Some trinkets will be perfect to place in it, unless you can tell me its original use. Any ideas?

A few more treasures were purchased… check back to see some more soon!

4 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I adore all your beautiful treasures you got at the flea market.
The little childs dress, ribbon and the heart shaped buttons are lovely.
Sorry I do not know what the little bird bath would be used for, but it is very pretty.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

T's Daily Treasures said...

The child's dress is gorgeous and definitely needs to be lovingly displayed as it is. Love all your other purchases: the heart buttons and ribbon. Fun stuff. Sweet little gold dish -- wonder what it was for? Wishing you a wonderful day! Blessings, Tammy

Alison Gibbs said...

What beautiful things you bought. Love the little dress.
Maybe the little bird dish is a 'pin dish'
Alison

Kerry McKibbins said...

It looks like you found some wonderful stuff!