Sunday, November 8, 2009

Weekend Whirlwind

This has been a busy weekend with lots happening in my fanciful life! Saturday night was a fun experience at the Daly City fire department's station house 95. I attended a dinner put on by the firemen (I would say firepeople but they happened to be all men that night). This was a dinner purchased at the Mid-Peninsula Boys and Girl Club annual benefit dinner auction by one of their generous volunteers. Instead of inviting a group of adults, he took a number of kids who play soccer at the club after school. After dinner, we all got to dress up in the firemen's gear. As it was a chilly night, the jackets were warm albeit quite heavy! That's me and my new friend Maggie sitting on the back of one of the firetrucks.

After the kids got a full tour of the firehouse, everyone got dressed up in full fire gear for some photos. The firemen got really into it and gave us props which explains why I have a large ax in my hands!

Here we are with their fire hats on to complete the whole fashion ensemble. They must weigh at least 10 pounds each! It was a wonderful evening; the firemen cooked a fabulous meal of barbecued chicken and prime rib and were most gracious to everyone. I think I can safely say a good time was had by all. Kudos to the fire department for their generosity and hospitality. They are a swell group of guys!

And so today, I started and finished my last swap item for Silver Bella. It's the Bee's Knees swap where we are matched with one other person. Our task is to make something for her with a bee theme. My item features a golden silk rose on black velvet as my partner wished for black and gold as her colors. I actually tore apart this rose and re-fashioned it into a different design. That perfectionist thing got the best of me today. So much to do, and so little time! I've spent the whole day on this swap, finishing other artwork pieces for friends, creating separate supply kits for each workshop and rounding up things I will need to bring with me. Time for a good night's rest - only three days until Silver Bella!

4 comments:

aBohemianMarket said...

Wow Sharon:
You are so tiny and that ax so huge. Glad your name is not Lizzie : )
You look like you had a swell time.'It is good you got out and did a fun thing. The SB swap is cool since you like the bee.I just noticed the bees are gone off your back ground : (
Well, I hope I hear from you before you leave for Omaha but if not have a blast at SB!!! You will be the Belle of the Ball : )
Big Hugs Friend
carole

Laura said...

Wow, it looks like you had a lot of fun at the dinner! :) That rose looks beautiful too! :)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

It looks like you had a great night out with the Firemen.
You must be getting excited about going away ~ good luck with the preparations and if I do not see you before you go, have a wonderful time.

Hugs
Carolyn

T's Daily Treasures said...

Looks like a great nite for a good cause. Have a fantastic time at Bella. I can't wait to see all the wonderful posts from everyone. Best wishes, :) Tammy