Saturday, October 31, 2009

Not Quite the Way I Planned the Weekend

My oatmeal and I had a sad face this morning. Last night, I took my sister to the Apple store to buy her a MacBook. Her first very own computer, laptop and Mac. After we purchased it using the money my aunt had left her when she passed on, we went to the Ann Taylor store where they had a great sale and I picked up a few tops, and a sweater for Tina at Macys. We stopped at Whole Foods on the way home to pick up a bite to eat and returned home. We were totally shocked when we opened the car door and saw no packages. While we were in the market for about 10 minutes (during which time an opened Odwalla drink I picked up spilled all down the front of my top - the clerk gave me a fragranced wipe which then gave me a headache, but I digress...), someone had stolen the packages.

The police officer told me to contact Apple so they could flag the serial number as stolen. Apple told me they do not do that. Visa told me that neither card I used had buyer protection (the banks don't want to pay for it). My car insurance company told me I am not covered for theft. Perhaps my homeowner insurance may cover it, but I'm not counting on it. It just feels so violating and especially when I discovered that my full name and email address were on the receipts. I try to be careful; I have a security freeze on my credit files since my personal data was on two files stolen from my former mortgage company and a former employer just a few years ago. But, after getting over the initial shock, I realize I must keep this in perspective.

I am grateful for all I have in my life and these were just material goods that can be replaced. Granted, it's not inexpensive, but it does no good to dwell on it. I am so lucky for all that I do have and nobody was hurt. And so my day goes on...

I really feel like having a cookie right now so I think I'll go bake some from the freezer. Cookies = happy, right? And I need to finish up those shabby bella ornaments now. Oh, and I had a surprise phone call (on the beloved iPhone) this morning from my Silver Bella roomie which was so great. After emailing back and forth for all these months, we finally had a live conversation and I can't wait to spend time with her in Omaha. Miss Gracie still loves me and wants me to play mousie pole with her. My dad called to say hello and I love you. Life is good, right?

And so it goes. Just living life and taking it one day at a time. Looking for the rainbow, a butterfly landing nearby, the sun coming through the clouds. Keeping my chin up. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

11 comments:

AND THEN SHE SAID... said...

I'm so sorry this really lousy thing happened to you, especially when you were doing something special for your sister. But in your typical fashion, you took a bad experience and put it in perspective by reminding us of all that is right with the world. When I started reading I was angry at what happened, but by the end of your blog, felt good because of your postive outlook. This is why your blog is so beloved...you look at the bright side of everything, which is so refreshing!

June said...

Oh Sharon, how awful for you both. I am so sorry. Your attitude is wonderful about it. Good luck with your homeowners insurance.
Hugs,
June

cindy said...

Gurl! You are making lemonade outta lemons! The best attitude to have. I'm so sorry that this happened to ya!

-c
yappping cat

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I am so sorry what happened to you and your Sister.
That is terrible and the things that people do.
You have a great attitude and glad that you could see the brighter side of life.
I really hope that your homeowner Insurance will be able to help you out.

Hugs
Carolyn

Laura said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry something like this happened to you. Glad to see you are still staying positive. I am sure it is hard. Hopefully something good can come out of all this for you and your sister.

T's Daily Treasures said...

Good morning Sharon! So sorry to hear about the events of your weekend. Bravo for looking on the bright side of things. I try to think that if someone really wants the stuff so badly that they are willing to steal for it, then they must need it for some reason or another. Doesn't make it right, but you and your sister are safe and sound, and things can always be replaced. You had so many more blessings in your day then you had bad encounters. Wishing you a safe and superb Sunday! Best wishes, Tammy

aBohemianMarket said...

Hi my Friend:
Damn. You certainly are Ms. Positive!!!
I guess I need to be around you some more so I can take on that trait!!!
Well, the Oatmeal face is too cute : )
the pink flower photograph is beautiful.
the chocolate chip cookies are calling me : 0
You are definitely an inspiration. I am glad you spoke with your SB roomie. Please take lots of photos so we can all enjoy your trip with you.
hugs
carole

Katie - My Paisley Apron said...

Oh what a bummmer!!! It does feel so violating, I understand. It's great that you're taking it in stride but you're right, it's definitely not the way you'd want your weekend to go!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

How awful that this happened to you! I think it's just terrible that there are people who have no qualms about taking (stealing) something that belongs to someone else. Bless you for your positive attitude. I hope the thief (or thieves) are caught.
Hugs,
Donna

Stacie said...

Oh I am so sorry for the theft...but your wonderful turn around is uplifting! What a beautiful blog, I found you on Blogher...so glad I did!

Emily-Claire said...

I am so sorry! :( Life can be unfair at times, but everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that.

You are such a positive person and I am happy to have gotten to know you through your lovely blog. I wish more people were like you.

Take care and I know great things are coming your way! :)