Sunday, September 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dad

Recently, my dad turned 85 years old. We celebrated with a birthday lunch at my house. I want to share the recipe for the yummiest tomato dish shown above. I don't know what it's called but I found it in a magazine a few years ago and have enjoyed it ever since.

Let's call it Roasted Tomato Bruschetta.

One Basket cherry tomatoes
Sliced sourdough bread
One garlic clove
Olive oil
Italian herb (oregano, thyme, Italian or any similar)

Place the washed cherry tomatoes in a pan. Add olive oil to coat plus a little extra (this will make some added juice). Sprinkle with an herb. Roast in the oven at 400 - 425 degrees until the cherry tomatoes start to burst and the oil bubbles (about 20 minutes or so). Toast the bread slices and rub with the garlic clove. Spoon the tomatoes onto the bread and drizzle the olive oil mixture onto each one. Yum - enjoy!

The main dish was this orzo pasta with heirloom tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and pesto.

Let me tell you something funny about my dad. He is one of the few people who do not enjoy getting a handmade card from me. He loves getting a Hallmark card. He reads all the words intently and then smiles and says "I love you guys". Now, he never said he didn't like my cards, he just didn't react much. But when he gets the Hallmark card, you can just tell he likes it so much better. We always look for one with lots of words. "Happy Birthday on your special day" will not cut it. No, it must have lots of words on both sides of the card.

After the card, he opened his present. Like me, Dad loves to read and always enjoys a book.

Dad never goes home without a fruit basket. I pick out all the fruits he likes at the farmer's market and assemble them into a basket for him. Each time he comes over, he brings the basket back and we just keep refilling it. Happy Birthday, Dad!

10 comments:

carole said...

Hi Sharon:
Hallmark has their devoted people : )
I love your hand created tags, cards and roses : )
I really like the idea he brings the basket back and you refill it with more fruit : )
It has cooled down here in Southern California and the fires are not hovering over the outlying communities. I did deliveries by the big Station fire and it was scary.
I know you are busy yet you always find time to add beauty to Bloglandia.
Hugs
carole

Queenmothermamaw said...

Hi Sharon, yes we won the twist contest. It was 1959 about 4 months before our wedding day in April 1960. 50 years ago. We can still do the twist, in our garage dancing to our 8 track stereo. This was such a nice tribute to your dad. He looks pretty dapper to me. Blessings
QMM

Draffin Bears said...

Happy Birthday to your Father, Sharon.
that was a lovely tribute to him and loved the story of refilling the fruit basket and his love for the Hallmark cards.
I think the homemade are so much lovelier, especially the beautiful work you do.

Hugs
Carolyn

kana said...

Looks like you threw a great party!! So lucky to have your dad for 85 yrs!

Rebecca @ Belle Blog said...

Hi Sharon,
I enjoyed the post about your dad. I am actually enjoying several of your posts and wanted you to know. From reading your profile, it seems we have a lot in common. I also share your seeming addiction to journals. I have too many which I use for recipes, lists, I think I even have a journal with a list of uses for all my journals. LOL :) Miss Gracie is beautiful. I have been contemplating getting another kitty soon. Not yet though says hubby. Oh well. Soon.
Back to reading some more of your posts!!
♥ Rebecca

Diva Kreszl said...

What a lovely ritual with the fruit basket! Happy birthday wishes to your DAD!

Becca said...

Yum, that food looks good. I'll have to make that, I have so many tomatoes right now. Your dad is so cute!

Rachel said...

That brushetta looks very tasty!! Happy Bday to Dad!!

T's Daily Treasures said...

Your dad's birthday meal sounds delicious! Grape tomatoes here right now are bright red and delicious! What a wonderful tradition of sending your dad home with a fruit basket. He looks like a great guy! Happy 85th to him! Best wishes,

Julie said...

Wow talk about great genetics he doesn't look 85 - more like 65! Thank you for sharing your father's birthday celebration and the yummy recipe - you can't go wrong with tomatoes, olive oil and garlic!

xo - Julie