Monday, August 24, 2009

Tribute to Smokey the Bear

Did you know that Smokey the Bear just turned 65 years old? I loved Smokey the Bear when I was growing up. One of my oldest and fondest memories is of receiving my very own Smokey the Bear.

When I was a small child, my sister was born prematurely on October 3, weighing just two pounds. Shortly before Christmas, she was finally allowed to come home. However, on Christmas Eve she became sick and had to be rushed to the hospital for an operation. My parents took me to our neighbor's house across the street while they were at the hospital. Before they left, they gave me a Christmas present to open. And inside the box was this Smokey the Bear. He's quite old now and his nose is a bit smashed from being inside my "memory box" all these years. But, he's still one of my fondest memories.

To learn more about Smokey the Bear, visit Smokeybear.com for lots of interesting facts, old radio and tv spots and tons of nostalgia. You can even send an ecard from there to celebrate his birthday!

Happy Birthday, Smokey!

6 comments:

cindy said...

this smokey the bear is just so cute!

i had no idea that he was turning 65! wow!

Diva Kreszl said...

I remember him well...bot this takes me back!

Katie - My Paisley Apron said...

I am amazed that you know this! I loved Smokey the Bear too - I can still sing the little song. :)

A Fanciful Life said...

I'm glad to know others remember his too! And Katie, I can still the song after all these years as well. That is too funny!
Sharon :-)

Draffin Bears said...

What a lovely story about your Smokey bear.
Great to have memories of a Christmas many years ago.

Hugs
Carolyn

Caleen said...

what a sweet reminder.. I loved Smokey the bear too. I remember seeing him at our local fair every year.. That really dates me.. I guess he has been around even longer than I have.. ha..
Thanks for sharing.. Love your sweet Bear..
Have a great week.