Monday, August 31, 2009

Personal Treasures From My Memory Box

While perusing through boxes in my garage recently, I came upon these items from my "memory box". The box contains items with sentimental value from my childhood. These two books were some of my favorites. The nursery tale book I would read to my little sister. And the poetry book I would devour in my room. It contains the most delightful poems for children.

Here is one of the poems accompanied by a color illustration. I still remember some of them as in "The cow is of the bovine ilk. One end is moo, the other milk", by Ogden Nash. I don't remember the name of that poem, but it stuck with me all of these years.

I also loved fairy tales. I spent a lot of time reading as a child and living vicariously through the stories. Occasionally, my grandmother in Sweden would mail books. The book above is about Peter and his four goats and a mean troll. My mother would read to us in Swedish although we never learned to speak it.

This little gal was one of my dolls. I loved playing with the dolls and stuffed animals. Oh, how I wished they were real!

I rediscovered this silver cup I received upon my birth. It has been in this box for, well, let's just say a lot of years. In the background is my blue baby blanket. I was supposed to be a boy (my name would have been Steven) but I surprised everyone! I don't think my poor dad ever did figure out what to do with girls.

I loved the sweet spoon handle on this cup. After seeing it, I thought why keep it in the box as it has been for decades? So, I have put it in my creative space where I'll use it to hold things.

This is actually a very small dress that my next door neighbor made for me when I must have been five years old or so. She was a wonderful seamstress and it's very well made of corduroy fabric with heart trimming. She made this for me when her daughters and I were taking lessons at the roller skating rink. My older sister took ice skating lessons and I attached her ice skates pin to it way back when.

It was fun to revisit these items and the memories they brought back. I have fond memories of several other items from childhood but unfortunately I no longer have them, like a patent leather penguin purse and an animal face lollipop pin. But I can see them clearly in my mind's eye and they still make me smile.

3 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What wonderful things in your memory box. I just love going through my old books and looking at my dolls from my childhood. So many happy memories
Alison

YSLGuy said...

What a great little collection. I love going through stuff (photos etc) that Ive stored away and bringing back those wonderful memories.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Sharon,

I love all the treasures from your childhood and how lovely to look back at the books that you used to read.
Wonderful memories for you and I loved seeing your things.

Hugs
Carolyn