Do you love pancakes? I do - they are truly a comfort food from childhood days. Every so often I make them for breakfast on a Sunday. I love them with blueberries, bananas, pumpkin butter, lemon juice... gosh, I guess I like them no matter what the topping! This past Sunday I made them with a special topping that my dad used to make when I was growing up. It's super simple:
- Clean and wash a basketful of strawberries
- Cut them into halves or quarters and place in a bowl
- Mash them up until juicy (use that old hand masher you have in the back of your kitchen tool drawer -- you know, the one you used to mash pototoes with...)
- Add enough half and half to the consistency you like. I add about one cup to one and a half cups
- Add enough sugar to taste. Note: you may not need much so just add a half a spoonful at a time. I only add about less than two teaspoons but you may like it sweeter. I try to keep it as natural as possible.
- Let it set to room temperature and pour over hot pancakes
- Yum - enjoy!