Monday, April 6, 2009

Too Sweet and Pretty to Eat


A little chocolate cake from Galli's Sanitary Bakery. Ok, I know that must sound like a weird name for a bakery and I don't know the origin of it. It's been in business since 1909 in South San Francisco, which used to have a large Italian population from the turn of the century through the 1970's at least. Growing up, I thought nothing of the name. They used to have a truck that drove through the neighborhood selling baked goods in the same way that the ice cream man would drive through. As an adult, I had to ask myself what kind of name is that?! But I digress...

This lovely cake made for perfect picture-taking but was a bit too sweet to eat. I had a few bites and then had to call it quits. Really, so many desserts can be shared by several people these days. It doesn't take much to be satisfied when it's that rich. I was more than happy just to be able to photograph it.

2 comments:

Laura said...

that looks deliciousss!!! :)

Eugenia said...

Oooh... what a lovely and yummy looking treat!