Sunday, March 1, 2009

March Brings Us National Craft Month

How exciting--a new month and spring is almost here. March also brings us National Craft Month. In honor of this, I'd like to share a project I created last year. Credit for this project goes to the summer 2008 issue of Home & Heart magazine in which I found this project. It was so darn adorable that I thought you might want to try it too. It's a birthday day box that look like a cake and makes a great present for a fellow crafty. Here are the steps I followed:

Supplies Needed: candlestick holder, plastic lid, small, round paper mache box, paint, scrapbook paper, ribbons and trim, glitter, small bell, adhesives plus any other embellishments you wish to add.



  1. Paint the box lid white, cover the box sides with patterned paper, and apply glitter to the top of the lid (apply glitter on lid sides also if not using lace on it).
  2. Decorate box and lid sides with ribbons. Paint the bell and adhere it to the lid; add decorative flowers. Tie embellished tags to the bell.
  3. Take a plastic lid (from a butter, coolwhip or other tub) and paint it. Note that the acrylic paint on this smooth surface may not stick so you may want to use a primer first).
  4. Adhere the plastic lid to the candlestick (I used dry adhesive strips). Adhere the box to the lid. Apply glitter to the lid all around the box. Adhere decorative trim to the side of the lid.
  5. Fill the box with filler (paper, mylar, tissue) and add small gifts or treats.

I had so much fun making this and it turned out so cute that it pained me to give it away. It was a birthday present for a special friend. If you have birthday coming up, I encourage you to make one for a friend, or even yourself.





2 comments:

emily said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your project is so beautiful...and it looks like so much fun to make!

happydays525 said...

I love how this turned out, it's just adorable!